Saturday, July 12, 2008

What's New?

Whew! alright whew! it has really been way too long since I posted last, but I can tell you I really have been very busy. Bet you never heard that one before, huh? Okay so let's just talk about what has been going on. In talking about the garden it has been a challenge to keep up with the weeds and grass, because while the rain always does wonders in growing the vegetables it also grows the the rest of it. Just on a side note it is so amazing how you can water a garden to the best of your ability as often as needed and get minimal results and the first time God waters it everything grows a foot overnight! That always will amaze me and make me think about how God does everything so much better than we can do it. Anyway the veggies look good, but because we have been so busy our tomatoes are not staked up and don't look as good as they usually do, but everything else looks like it is doing fine. Moving right along the next item is the fourth of July. We went up to Stevenson to my mom's house to spend the night with them so Jeff could go fishing with my dad and my mother and I took advantage of it also and we put up 51 jars of plum preserves. Here is a picture below of my mom cooking up the plum mixture!
By the way thank you to Brother and Sister Hollander for all the plums as they had an over abundance of them this year and blessed us with 3 five gallon buckets, and the trees were still hanging. I would love to take credit for picking them, but Brother Hollander, Brother Tristan, and my boys did most of the picking; therefore, I didn't make them help put them up. Anyway my Dad, Jeff, and Jody went fishing at 4:00am the next morning and caught quite a few fish (Jeff said my dad caught most of them) but regardless it was a pretty good amount of fish. Here is a picture of the fish:
Later in the afternoon they cleaned them and put them up for us to take home. Looks like I can add fish to my menu later on. Jeff and Tanner got in the mood to clean my dad's boat and truck and wow it was pretty dirty. Of course my dad found the first mud hole to get the truck tires dirty again because they were too clean. While they were cleaning my mom, my dad, and I cooked up a ton of great food like ribs and, pork chops, cole slaw, potato salad, and rolls. Then they asked if we wanted to stay till Saturday and go see "the cabin" and needless to say they didn't have to twist our arms too hard because we really like time we get spend with them. Being that we are always so busy we don't get as much as we would like to. The cabin was great and they actually still use this cabin and it was built in 1820 by Peter Sells which was a homestead in my dad's family. It was the central point of a 3,00 acre farm and cleared by Peter Sells along with his family. It is pretty neat because the cabin kitchen is a separate place from the living quarters with a covered walk in between. The bedroom upstairs is a single open loft area which housed all ten children and I think mom and dad too! Whew again! Anyway we had a great time.

Okay Menu Time:
Sunday - Deer cube steaks, potatoes, and green beans
Monday - Burritos
Tuesday - Hamburgers and chips
Wednesday - Chicken Pot Pie, Mac'n'cheese, and fresh bread
Thursday - Spaghetti, Salad, and Garlic Bread
Friday - Fish (There it is in case you were wondering from above!), corn, slaw, and Hush Puppies

I will try to do much better ast getting my menu out every week. Thank you for all your feedback and if you want to know any recipes let me know and I will write them down.

8 comments:

Music Eloquence said...

... if we want to know any of your recipes? (brows lifting) All of them.

I like your dad. He didn't want his tires too clean. Hey it might intimidate those of us who wash their car less than... ummmmmm nevermind. haha

AnthonyAlex said...

Sounds like you had a busy, fun time!
I can skip the deer and fish nights, but the rest sounds really good! Haha!
~Kristy

Journey to Lilly! said...

I love plum sauce, plum jelly, plum everything!! How nice of the Hollanders to share with you. My favorite off your menu is the fresh bread. When I read it I went "MMMMMMM". Their is nothing that smells better than fresh bread baking :) Tony wants to know where you guys caught all those fish :)
lv & blessings,
Kim

Michelle O said...

The Deer and Fish sound good to me. John and the boys go fishing but I guess they do not go to the right places because they never bring anything home. ~Michelle

Amy Alex said...

Ummm...Can you plan my menu for me????? hahahaha!!! I am so organized at work, but I will have to get better at the homemaker thing!!!

- Amy

Anonymous said...

Sis. Bridget..all that talk about the rain there makes me miss it! I haven't seen any in months and months!

love you guys so much!

Natalie said...

You are more than welcome for the plums! If you hadn't taken them they would be all rotten by now! lol. I can't wait to taste the plum jam or whatever it is that you and your mom made!

Love you guys!
Nat

Journey to Lilly! said...

mmmmmmm I am thinking about fresh bread. hehe!
lv & blessings,
Kim

July 4th 2013

Here are some of the pictures from our 4th of July day this year. We had my Sister in Law Pam, Brad, and Linden in for a visit and we did a ...