Saturday, June 21, 2008

Garden Update

Our garden is doing great, but Jeff says our neighbor's looks better. But it's only because theirs has been in longer. My beans are vining, my tomato plants have tomatoes on them and I got my first banana pepper. I'm so excited! Pictures are coming soon.

Also, I would like to share about my grocery adventure. I managed to spend only $129.00 on groceries to last us for the next two weeks! And that is to feed a family of five, which three are teenage boys with bottomless pits for stomachs! That breaks down to be about $65.00 per week! It took some time. I had to go to four different places. Now I know what you are thinking. With gas at $4.00 a gallon I probably didn't save that much. But the stores were all within 6 miles. I usually spend about $180.00 every time I go to the grocery store. But my husband wanted to try to budget our groceries for two weeks on the least amount of money we could. I was so proud of myself. So I thought I would share my menu for the next week with you.

Monday- Homemade pizzas
Tuesday-Chicken Fried Rice w/Cream potatoes, corn on the cob and cornbread
Wednesday-Grilled Pork Chops, salad
Thursday-Homemade burritos, salsa and chips
Friday-Meatloaf, pinto beans, potatoes with cornbread salad
Saturday-Hamburgers, potato salad, chips

Hope this gives you some ideas!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis. Bridget,
I'm proud of you for the grocery budget!
Even though there's only two of us I've recently started budgeting our groceries too so I know how much work and creativity goes into it..Unfortunately I don't have a garden to help out, maybe one day.
Love you.
Rachel

The Unknown Artis said...

Yeah you finally commented!Haha When are you going to make me some cornbread salad? I remember the first time you told me about it, and I thought it would be gross. I can't believe I was wrong! I'm never wrong!

AnthonyAlex said...

Hey Sis. Bridget,
It does give me a good idea...come over to my house and help me do the same thing! Haha

OR just post all the recipes and we can just copy you-exactly! Sounds like a good idea to me!

~Kristy

~Kimberly~ said...

That sounds great! It can really be tough trying to get the most out of your frig & freezer to feed a large family these days.

I'm excited about your menu and you've inspired me!

Love you~Kimi

Livin' with the North in the South said...

Sister Rachel...
You will have a garden one day. We are so glad to be able to see and read about what God is doing through you guys.You have always been SPECIAL to us.We thank God that you took the time to be a friend and teach us the word of God. I know that there is so many more people just like us just waiting for you to knock on their door.God Bless we love you guys.

BTW...we have another blog for Sunday School outreach called The Power of an Hour if you want to check it out. it's in the blog friends on my blog. Sis B

Music Eloquence said...

Hey, you helped me last month by telling me its better to shop for the whole month at one time. We haven't had to buy groceries all month except for the produce and we have saved a couple hundred dollars. My garden is doing good too. I am going to get the fence for my beans to vine on either today or tomorrow... they're vining with the weeds on the ground. lol Can't wait to start canning.

July 4th 2013

Here are some of the pictures from our 4th of July day this year. We had my Sister in Law Pam, Brad, and Linden in for a visit and we did a ...